Corio volunteer awarded

Corio Victoria State Emergency (VICSES) Unit Deputy Controller Felicity Hughes was recently announced as the recipient of the prestigious Fred Grove Memorial Award.

Celebrations were held at the Lara Sporting Club, with Ambulance Victoria, Country Fire Authority (CFA), and Victoria Police also among the recipients, each awarded for their dedication and commitment to their communities. 

The Fred Grove Memorial Award is in memory of Fred Grove, a much-loved and highly regarded member of Lara’s emergency services and broader community. A CFA volunteer for 52 years, Fred also served as a Victoria Police member for more than 40 years and was an active Rotarian for more than 25 years. 

As recipient of the award, Felicity was recognised for her commitment to community and for going above and beyond as a VICSES volunteer. She is a well-respected leader and role model within the unit, throwing herself at any challenge that comes her way. 

Consistently making herself available to attend incidents day or night, Felicity has attended more than 400 requests for assistance in her volunteer career,144 of these in 2020 alone.

In addition to attending operational incidents, Felicity also dedicates her time to training fellow members and assisting in managing the day-to-day operations of the unit. 

In her role as Deputy Controller – Operations, Felicity is responsible for ensuring the readiness of the Corio Unit for all emergency operations – from maintenance and restocking to strategic planning and positioning of personnel and assets for emergencies.

VICSES Assistant Chief Officer, Nick Cowham, said: “Felicity is the epitome of what it means to be a VICSES volunteer. Her dedication to the service and the community is truly outstanding. Felicity’s passion, leadership and dedication to developing our members is truly commendable.

“Felicity’s unwavering passion for her community and commitment to ensuring the VICSES Corio Unit continues to support them in emergencies, makes her a fitting recipient of the Fred Grove Memorial Award.”

Trevor to the rescue

Corio author John Smithers is celebrating publishing his first children’s book and plans for a television series.

John has written six books in the Trevor The Tram series, with fellow train enthusiast David Barnes the illustrator. The first to be printed, Trevor The Tram and the little lost boy, has been well received by children, parents and educators.

“Trevor was inspired by a procession of W Class trams I encountered while working as a railway signalman in Melbourne one night,” John said. “The name stuck and inspired the stories.”

John said Trevor is a helpful tram who comes to the rescue, including when other modes of transport fail.  

“The first book took me about a week to write and 12 to 18 months to have David complete the illustrations,” John said. “I’ve learnt a lot about self-publishing and I’m happy to say the printing was done here in Geelong.”

In a recent development, John has signed a deal with Matt Poidevin Pictures, which is planning to produce a children’s TV series of the books. John will retain artistic control and hold all rights to the children’s book series.  He’s hoping Trevor could become Australia’s answer to Thomas the Tank Engine.To order a copy of Trevor The Tram and the little lost boy, go to https://www.trevorthetram.com.au.

Bringing lantern trail to life

Community members contributed to a northern suburbs art project celebrating the winter solstice, by working with artists to create colourful objects from recycled plastic bottle tops and bottles.

Norlane, Rosewall and Cloverdale community centres hosted artists Beth McMahon and Mike Bevitt from the indirect Object, and community members, as they made large-scale recycled plastic lanterns and flowers for the June solstice illuminated lantern trail.

Over three months from late March, the indirect Object artists worked at Norlane and Cloverdale to design and make four large sculptural lanterns and a field of 400 flowers from recycled plastics collected and donated by the community.

To coincide with the winter solstice, the lanterns were illuminated and displayed together as the North Geelong Community Lantern Trail. The lanterns will be returned to the community centres to become solar-powered illuminated artworks and play spaces.

Beth said the team was delighted with the welcome they received at the community centres and the participation of a wide range of people.  

​Founded in 2006, the indirect Object is an award-winning arts group creating original interactive and immersive experiences for non-traditional spaces. They create works for children, families, the general public and adults. 

Funding for the North Geelong Community Lantern Trail project was provided by the City of Greater Geelong. 

Summer gardening ideas

Here we go with a brand-new year, which just has to be better than 2020.

What better way to celebrate than to create a pretty, productive garden to keep our spirits up and lower our living costs with fresh, full of flavor, home grown vegetables, surrounded by colourful scented flowers.

Number one after the new year is to plant some new tomato seedlings to ensure you can harvest a second crop later in the autumn. Our summer season has been forecast to last longer than usual and nothing sets off a salad better than home-grown tomatoes. Any excess tomatoes can always be frozen for use in winter casseroles or to make your own tomato sauce.

Most gardens have a shady area where you despair of ever growing something nice, but some plants prefer such a spot. A spectacular example is a Clivia, which comes in several shades from pale lemon to bright red and show to advantage against the bright green strappy leaves.

An added benefit is that they don’t require much water and don’t suffer much damage from slugs, snails and other pests. Upkeep is easy as they clump and they can stay in the same place and keep flowering for many years and stay green all year round, definitely a win/win situation.

One tip to remember is very simple – if using pine bark or wood chips as mulch, mix in a nitrogen-rich fertilizer before applying to the garden beds. This replaces the nitrogen lost from the soil in the process of the mulch breaking down and your plants will thrive instead of being deprived of this essential element.

Another couple of tips to make your summer easier and to ensure your plants get the best care and yield good results. Always water early in the day if possible, which makes sure the plants get the moisture required during the heat of the day.

Watering at night encourages insect life, particularly mosquitoes, which are tipped to be very bad this year. If the soil is shrinking away from the sides of your pots, soak them in a large container full of water that comes over the top of the pot until all the bubbles stop – these bubbles show that your pot has dried out. You can put a bit of liquid fertilizer in the water, which does two jobs in one.

St. Patrick’s Day is traditionally the time to plant sweet peas for the winter colour burst. What is more cheerful on a cold winter’s day than a vase of beautiful, sweet smelling sweet peas? Add some lime and well-rotted compost to the area where you want to plant the seeds.

Save money this year and plant seeds of winter vegies such as cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, silver beet and onions to name a few. These will then be ready to plant out at a later date, instead of buying seedlings, giving you a head start on the cooler weather and leaving more cash in your pocket. Other things to plant include broad beans, leeks, lettuce, radish, spring onions, parsnips and turnips.

Volunteer program a winner

Rosewall Neighbourhood Centre is celebrating the work of its volunteers after winning the 2020 Learn Local Volunteer Team Award.

The Learn Local Awards are held annually to recognise outstanding achievement in a range of categories. The Volunteer Team Award is for a group of up to 10 people who have worked together on a common project and demonstrated that effective or shared effort can achieve greater outcomes.

The award nomination said: “The dynamic Rosewall Learning and Creative Team from Rosewall Neighbourhood Centre, are sowing the seeds for a successful life in their English Conversation and Sewing Group.

“This humble activity is paying big dividends for new arrivals from across the globe. The six volunteers warmly receive women from places such as Afghanistan, Iran, Cambodia, Africa, Israel and Pakistan. Many of them have been victims of persecution in their home country and are faced with marginalisation in Australia.

“As they’re taught to sew, they develop their spoken English, literacy and problem-solving skills. Financial literacy comes from exploring moneymaking ventures and developing their long-term career aspirations.

“Some of the sewn items are sold through Rosewall’s small sales table and Torquay Community House. Funds raised are used to buy haberdashery and food vouchers for needy participants.

“Importantly, friendships develop as participants work as a team and connect with community. Rosewall volunteers have a diverse range of complementary skills from sewing machine mechanics, to sewing, crafting, and delivering ESL courses.

“With personal attention and care, they’ve created a robust, enduring program that boosts the confidence, morale and employability of women who might otherwise be disengaged and isolated.”

Cloverdale Community Centre also won a Learn Local Award in 2020, for its Collaboration with The Gordon TAFE. Cloverdale created and delivered education programs to help local learners pathway to TAFE and supported TAFE students who needed extra help with language and literacy.

Connecting with community

Friends of Cowies Creek (FoCC) is a community group in Norlane whose members foster care for Cowies Creek by connecting with the local community to protect and regenerate the creek and its native biodiversity. The group holds public clean-ups and indigenous planting days.

Spokesman Lachie Chomley said members acknowledge that their activities take place on the stolen land of the Wadawurrung people and that the creek was traditionally used by the Wadawurrung people as a source of fresh water, food and medicine. 

“The creek starts in the Moorabool hills and flows through Bell Post Hill and Norlane, out into Corio Bay at Corio Quay,” Lachie said. “It is home to lots of amazing wildlife including loads of birds, reptiles, fish, insects and frogs.

“The endangered growling grass frog (featured in our logo) makes a home along the creek. You might hear them if you stay quiet; their growling sounds more like snoring.

“Near any larger body of water, you might also find our native otter, the Rakali. Look out for the white tip of its tail as it dips down underwater in search of food.”
Lachie said FoCC members believe it’s important and exciting for locals to get connected with and help protect all of the precious life along Cowies Creek, particularly as in-fill development impacts the catchment.

“Lots of people we talk to don’t even know the creek exists,” he said. “We encourage everyone to respectfully spend time by the creek and see what you discover.” 
For people who want to get more involved, FoCC organises regular events for local community to get involved. A public rubbish clean-up will be held at the Fountain of Friendship Park on Sunday, February 14 from 10am-1pm.

To stay in touch with other future events and ‘creekly’ happenings you can find the group on Facebook or email [email protected].

Renee rewarded for kindness

Norlane West Scout Group member Renee Brown has been recognised for her compassion, integrity and kindness by winning the Fred Hollows Humanity Award.

The Humanity Award is a national initiative of The Fred Hollows Foundation that acknowledges Year Six students who follow in Fred’s footsteps by demonstrating humanitarian values towards others. It includes a scholarship for secondary schooling in 2021.

Renee (pictured) was nominated by Scout Leader Kim Brian, for her enthusiasm for helping others and doing the right thing.

“Renee has volunteered countless hours of her time helping those less fortunate than herself – from cooking snacks and meals for the local food bank, to collecting toys and winter clothes for the homeless,” Kim said. “She is one of our younger, quieter members but stands her ground for what she believes in.”

Kim was delighted that the nomination was successful and that Renee’s activities and experiences in Scouting helped her achieve it.

Since 2012, the Fred Hollows Humanity Award has recognised more than 1500 students who follow in Fred’s footsteps by making a positive difference in the lives of others.

Founding Director of The Fred Hollows Foundation Gabi Hollows congratulated 254 students from across the nation, for their kindness, compassion and integrity.

“This year, more than ever, it’s important to recognise these values,” Gabi Hollows said.

“So it thrills me to know that amidst everything going on in the world, The Foundation was able to celebrate these fine young leaders and highlight the differences they are making in their communities.

“Fred would have been incredibly proud of the contribution these students are making to society, no matter how big or small their actions.”

Friendship and ‘visitors’

Australian Red Cross is providing social companionship and friendship for older people through its Community Visitors Scheme.

The Community Visitors Scheme is a free program where volunteers are matched with an older person for social companionship and friendship on a weekly or fortnightly basis.

During COVID-19 restrictions the program has transitioned to phone calls, cards, letters and video calls, until it is safe to resume face-to-face visiting. Participants and their volunteers might have a cuppa, do puzzles together, reminisce or otherwise enjoy each other’s company.

The Community Visitors Scheme is available to older people who are living in a public aged care facility or receiving a home care package. It is an initiative of the Australian Government.

If you are interested in volunteer with the program or would like to know more about receiving a volunteer, email [email protected]

Spring delight in flowering fruit trees

Nothing says spring more loudly than the sight of a flowering fruit tree – all that lovely blossom with the promise of freshly picked fruit.

But what do you do if you don’t have room for a fruit tree? They do take up a lot of space and even though they do look great in the garden, they also give you heaps of leaves to clean up in autumn. The answer is a miniature tree.

These trees can be planted in the garden or grown in large pot. I have two – a peach tree in the garden that is 35 years old and stands 1.2 metres high which yielded about 50 peaches last year, and a pear growing in a pot which yielded two pears in its first year. I have high hopes of more this year.

A little extra care is needed to ensure they don’t dry out and monthly feeding of a liquid fertilizer will ensure a happy result when the fruit crop comes in. If you’re not sure where to site them in your garden, they are easily moved to that particular spot where they look at home. A special benefit is that if you are renting you can take them with you.

Tomatoes are always the subject of discussion in my house at this time of year – what type, height and size of the crop we want to try. If growing from seed they should be planted now to have healthy seedlings ready for planting out in November, the popular idea being that Melbourne Cup day is the ideal time.

I don’t suppose the tomatoes will object if the Melbourne Cup is not actually run, but the soil should be warmed up a little by then and this will give your plants a good start. Staggering the planting time with a two-week break between plantings will see you with a continuous supply during the summer months instead of having them all coming in at the same time.

If growing the taller varieties, placing the stakes or other supports in place when planting the seedlings will prevent root disturbance which will affect their progress. Leave at least one metre between plants (I prefer a little more) which helps prevent overcrowding and transmission of disease. It also makes it easier to pick your fruit and to control weeds around the base of the plant.

Plants need fertilizing on a regular basis with either granular or liquid types and if you are short on space you can also grow these in pots if you take a little extra care of them.

Happy gardening,

Betty

Anis rewarded for leadership

Northern suburbs resident Anis Gul Mohammad Ali has worked hard to achieve many things in her 24 years. She continues to work hard and study, and has been rewarded for her commitment to also helping others.

In late July, Anis was honoured as the Leadership category winner in the City of Greater Geelong 2020 Youth Awards for her academic achievements and contributions as a community volunteer.

Anis was born in Afghanistan and migrated with her family to Pakistan when she was one year old. When they arrived in Australia in 2013, Anis knew little English but was determined to make the most of the opportunities her new home offered.

When she first enrolled at Northern Bay College she completed a six-month English language class, which she credits for learning foundation English. “I was also watching TED talks and YouTube videos to improve my English,” she said.  “I was up late every night.”

Driven by her passion to one day become a doctor, Anis worked hard to ensure her English skills were at a level that allowed her to progress to VCE studies. She achieved her VCE with the highest ATAR score at Northern Bay College.

“From a young age I dreamed of becoming a doctor and that’s what motivated me to keep going. I have to overcome some struggles – learning English was my first challenge – but I got into VCE and then did very well.”

Anis said her mother Gulsoom remains her greatest supporter. “She just wants me to do well and still cooks and cleans and just lets me study,” she said.

Anis enrolled at Deakin University in 2016 to study biomedicine. At the same time, she studied nursing at The Gordon and is currently working at St John of God Hospital. She will complete her biomedicine degree this year and then take a ‘gap’ year in 2021 when she will “just work, not work and study”. Her goal is to be accepted into medicine at Deakin in 2022, for four more years of study towards becoming a doctor.

Anis is an advocate for young refugee women in the northern suburbs, assisting with the integration of refugees into the Geelong lifestyle. In the little time she has free, Anis is also volunteering at Diversitat, Pako Festa, The fOrT Youth Centre and other multicultural events in the northern suburbs.

“I have been so welcomed since I came here and have had amazing people around me,” she said. “Now I try to do as much to help others in any way, to guide them.”